The rupestrian Church of San Pietro Barisano is a church known for being the largest rock-hewn church in the city of Sassi and for representing the transition between ancient churches carved into tuff and modern ones.
The Church of San Pietro Barisano takes its name from the district in which it is located, the Sasso Barisano, and was built around the year 1000.
Over the years, it has undergone several modifications and restorations. In 1903, due to humidity, the worship was transferred to the Church of San Agostino and many sacred furnishings were moved. After the abandonment of the Sassi in the 1950s and 1970s, many other objects were stolen or damaged, but the church still houses important paintings and furnishings that can be visited.
San Pietro Barisano, together with the rock-hewn churches of Santa Lucia Alle Malve and Santa Maria de Idris, is managed by the OLTRE L'ARTE Cooperative Society.