The Church of Santa Lucia al Piano is a Catholic place of worship located in the central Piazza Vittorio Veneto, also known as "at the fountain".
The Church of Santa Lucia al Piano was built on what was once the palace of the noble Del Salvatore family, and was called "Santa Lucia Nova" to distinguish it from the one in the old district of the Sassi, Santa Lucia alle Malve.
Currently, the rooms adjacent to the church are the seat of the School of Advanced Training of the Higher Institute for Conservation and Restoration, and represent a source of pride and excellence for the city of Matera.
The Church of Santa Lucia al Piano is in a late Baroque style and has an imposing façade, with a single internal nave and several side chapels.
Inside the church, it is possible to admire numerous works of art, including a fresco by Pope Urban II dating back to 1093, located in one of the side chapels.